JOB SUMMARY: Coordinates and processes all requests for medical records ensuring the patients’ confidentiality. Information is processed in a timely and accurate manner according to the SDMG policies and Federal and State regulatory requirements. Performs other related duties as designated by the HIM Manager and/or HIS Supervisor.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Receives authorizations for releases of medical information from physicians, hospitals, patients, etc. Accurately assesses validity, and legality of authorizations and requests for information.
- Provides coverage for the Disability Coordinator as needed. Assists with processing requests received from insurance companies, lawyers, NYS Disability, NYS Compensation, etc. as needed.
- Processes all subpoena requests. Copies records for subpoenas. Ensures there is a valid authorization signed by the patient accompanied with the subpoena. Works with the Administrative Assistants to ensure proper payment is received for all subpoenas.
- Marks record as “legal record” in EMR and makes 2 paper copies of the legal chart for Administration (one for our files and one for the attorney).
- Contacts patients to receive the proper authorizations whenever necessary.
- Adheres to all New York State and Federal regulatory guidelines, including HIPAA, to process release of information requests.
- Maintains level of productivity as established for the department.
- Maintains proper turn-around time on all release of information requests. Federal HIPAA rules allow 30 days to process a request; however, whenever possible try to stay within the New York State guidelines which is 10 days to process a request.
- Upon identification, immediately informs the HIM Manager and/or HIS Supervisor of any issues.
- Assists with the training needs of the department.
- Records all requests for records in the appropriate workqueue for tracking purposes.
- Monitors workqueues for all staff to ensure timely processing of requests and communicates with HIM Manager any issues or concerns.
- Copies all pertinent information that is requested. Reviews patient names and medical record numbers to ensure that all information is for the designated patient.
- Assists patients with questions pertaining to the RHIO (Regional Health Information Organization) and/or Patient Portal.
- Assists with insurance auditing reviews (example, HEDIS and Risk Adjustment)
- Retrieves money bag when taking in checks, run daily reports, and follows cash out policy and procedure with the Business Office.
- Maintains professional conduct and customer service focus.
- Copies the authorization and sends a copy with the copies of the medical record.
- Attaches all appropriate confidentiality cover letters with the copies of the medical records that are being sent.
- Answers phone requests regarding medical record correspondence, etc. Logs in each phone request within the ROI module.
- Works overtime when necessary.
- Assists in other duties as designated by the HIS Supervisor.
- Adheres to the policies and procedures of SDMG.
- Upholds the confidentiality policies of the Health Information Management Department and SDMG.
- Attends all required in-service programs and employee informational meetings.
- Practices time management, keeping authorized break periods within accepted policy. Complies with established Slocum-Dickson Medical Group attendance policy.
- Provides proper notification for absences and scheduled time off in accordance with Slocum-Dickson Medical Group policy.
- Complies with Slocum-Dickson Medical Group policies and procedures pertaining to Incident Reporting and promptly notifies HIM Manager of all incidents.
- Knowledgeable of individual responsibilities and duties pertaining to Slocum-Dickson Medical Group safety/emergency preparedness including emergency codes.
- Demonstrates knowledge of proper body mechanics to be used in the work setting.
- May be exposed to hazardous drugs.
- Will attend OSHA training upon hire and annually thereafter.
RELATIONSHIP WITH OTHERS: Frequent contact with internal and external customers including, but not limited to, physicians, patients and employees. Must be able to work well with co-workers and maintain a professional conduct and a high level of customer service with those persons in which contact is made, either in person or over the phone.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE/KNOWLEDGE: Graduate of approved school of Health Information Technology preferred. A Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) or previous correspondence experience preferred.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Requires sitting, standing, bending and reaching. May require lifting up to 20 pounds. Requires manual dexterity sufficient to operate standard office equipment such as computer, scanner, fax, calculators and telephone. Requires normal hearing and vision.